Water Colors Project
- Students are taught color wheel and color theory information. This knowledge is applied to create a watercolor background wash for the project.
- Students learn how to paint transparent, blended, wet in wet, and graduated washes.
- Ground reversal, (positive and negative space) and symmetrical design concepts and properties are implemented.
- The application and effects of opaque versus transparent paint, and sponge usage is developed.
- Learn and be able to apply 5 watercolor techniques
- Learn and know color theory and mixing of colors
- Understand and know positive and negative space (ground reversal) concepts
- Understand symmetry and how to apply it
Unit Essential Questions
- How to apply multiple art mediums, materials and techniques to a project
- How to apply the elements and principles of design using positive and negative space
MA: Arts MA: Grades 5 - 8 Visual Arts2.7 For color, use and be able to identify hues, values, intermediate shades, tints, tones, complementary, analogous, and mono-chromatic colors
Demonstrate awareness of color by painting objective studies from life and free-form abstractions that employ relative properties of color2.8 For line, use and be able to identify various types of line, for example in contour drawings, calligraphy, freehand studies from observation, memory, and imagination, and schematic studies2.9 For texture, use and be able to differentiate between surface texture and the illusion of texture (visual texture)2.10 For shape, form, and pattern, use and be able to identify an expanding and increasingly sophisticated array of shapes and forms, such as organic, geometric, positive and negative, or varieties of symmetry
Create complex patterns, for example, reversed shapes and tesselation4.4 Produce work that shows an understanding of the concept of craftsmanship4.5 Demonstrate the ability to describe preliminary concepts verbally; to visualize concepts in clear schematic layouts; and to organize and complete projects4.7 Maintain a portfolio of sketches and finished work