Mr. Ferreira's Inspiration Gallery
Phone: 508-384-1000, x. 3255
Degrees and Certifications:
1987 - Bachelor of Arts in History & Social Sciences - Rhode Island College 1988 - Certificate of Graduate Studies in British Imperial and Canadian Political History - Western University, London, Ontario, Canada 1996 - Master of Arts in Teaching History & British Imperial & Commonwealth History - Rhode Island College MA Teaching Certification: History, 9 - 12
Mr. Joseph J. Ferreira, Jr.
Rm. 255 - Academic Wing
Grady Theatre/Rm. 461 - Theatre/Arts Wing
I have been with the KPRHS Department of History & Social Sciences since 1996 as a teacher of College Preparatory and Honours Modern World History. I have also taught US History, World Cultures and Technical Theatre. I am the manager of the school district's theatre spaces as well as the Web master for both the Department of History & Social Sciences and for KP Drama & GAPS.
Teaching Fellowships in History:
- Gettysburg College: Civil War Institute.
- Virginia Commonwealth University: Stratford Hall Seminar on Slavery.
- University of Maryland – College Park: National History Day Lincoln’s White House Seminar.
- St. Catherine's College - Oxford University: Gilder Lehrman Institute for American History, Age of Lincoln Seminar.
- University College - University of London: National Endowment for the Humanities Seminar, World War I in British Culture.
- American Historical Association
- H-Net: Humanities & Social Sciences On-Line
- World History Association
- National Council for History Education
- New England Regional World History Association
- Society for History Education
- Massachusetts Computer-Using Educators (MassCUE)
My complete professional resume may be found here.
Unusual facts about me:
- I have been in the vicinity of terrorist bombings or foiled bomb plots in London three times in my life (and I am NOT anxious to try for a fourth time!).
- My favourite film directors are Alfred Hitchcock & Mel Brooks.
- I am a big fan of Opus, the penguin from the recently resurrected comic strip "Bloom County."
- I was accepted into graduate school at Columbia University, but the University of Western Ontario gave me a full tuition scholarship AND a teaching assistantship for income, so I went to Canada.
- I once fell asleep (from jet lag) on the shoulder of a countess in the Royal Box at the Prince Edward Theatre in London while watching the musical Chess.
NPR Education: Helpful Hints to Succeed in School: