Dear King Philip community,
I wanted to provide everyone with details concerning a fire alarm that went off at our middle school earlier today.
At approximately 2 p.m. today, just prior to dismissal at the middle school, a fire alarm went off that prompted the evacuation of the school. All students and staff were evacuated safely, quickly, and without issue. It was found that the alarm activation was due to burnt popcorn in a microwave.
The Norfolk Police and Fire Departments responded to the school and the building was cleared. Thanks to their quick response we were able to deem the building safe and students were allowed back into the building to retrieve their belongings for dismissal.
Buses ran only 10 minutes behind schedule as a result of the alarm, and the scene has been fully cleared.
Given the timing of the alarm, there were many buses and parents on our campus and we applaud everyone for remaining calm and cooperating with all instructions. As always we thank our local first responders for responding so efficiently when needed and putting the safety and well-being of our school community at the forefront.
Paul A. Zinni, Superintendent