Special Education

Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) every student is entitled to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). When a student is deemed eligible for Special Education Services, an IEP Team is convened to develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for the student. This plan is created to provide specially designed instruction and services in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
Middle School Speech Pathologists

Stephanie Sweeton

Out of District Coordinator
High School 504 Coordinator

Barbara Collins

High School Speech Pathologists

Julia Sloan-Cullen

Child Find Notice

It is the responsibility of the King Philip Regional School District to identify any child who is a resident of  Norfolk, Plainville, or Wrentham who may have a disability, regardless of the severity of the disability. It is also the responsibility of the King Philip Regional School District to evaluate those students to determine if they are eligible for special education or related services under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and 603 CMR 28 (Massachusetts Special Education Regulations).  This is to advise you of the availability of the referral process for Special Education evaluations for those children, ages three through twenty-two, who may be suspected to have a disability and may be determined eligible for specialized instruction and/or related services.

Special Education regulations require that principals, or other educational administrators, make specific efforts to first meet the student’s needs in the general education setting. Those efforts include the promotion of instructional practices and the provision of adequate instructional support for students and teachers (MGL, c. 71B, section 2). If any student has been unsuccessful in making progress within the general curriculum, despite documented instructional support and effort, and is suspected of having a disability, any parent, caregiver, or professional may refer the student for Special Education evaluation.

If you suspect that your child, at any age (3-22), may need an evaluation to determine eligibility for special education services, you may request an evaluation, at no cost.

This notice applies to children residing in the King Philip Regional School District who attend either public or private schools. Please contact the Office of Student Services at (508) 520-7991 ext. 2320 for information about referring your child for an evaluation.

Who is Eligible?

In order for student to be eligible for special education services, his or her educational progress must be negatively impacted by one of the following disability categories:

  • Autism
  • Developmental Delay
  • Intellectual
  • Sensory: Hearing, Vision, Deaf-Blind
  • Neurological 
  • Emotional (including Anxiety Disorders)
  • Communication
  • Physical
  • Specific Learning
  • Health (including ADD, ADHD)

In addition, the student must require specially designed instruction and/or related services in order to make effective progress in school. If the student has a disability but does not qualify for special education services, he or she may be eligible for accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.


The student’s IEP document is agreed upon by the student and his/her parents or guardian(s) in collaboration with a team of educators from the student’s school district. The IEP is updated every year at the student’s Annual IEP Review meeting. Every three years the student is reevaluated in order to determine if he or she continues to be eligible for special education services

More About the IDEA

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a law ensuring services to children with disabilities throughout the nation. IDEA governs how states and public agencies provide early intervention, special education and related services to more than 6.5 million eligible youth with disabilities.

Family Ties Resources

Family TIES is a project of the Federation for Children with Special Needs, in collaboration with and funded by the MA Department of Public Health, Bureau of Family Health & Nutrition, Division for Children and Youth with Special Health Needs.

Family TIES provides information and training for families of children with special health needs or disability and their professional partners.

The directory is a great starting point to look for information and resources.

Referral for Comprehensive Evaluation

Parent’s Notice of Procedural Safeguards

One-Time Medicaid Consent Form

Destruction of Special Education Records Notice

The Massachusetts Student Record Regulations authorize public school districts to destroy student records no later than seven (7) years of a student’s graduation, transfer, or withdrawal from the school district. The Special Education Office is authorized to periodically review student records and destroy misleading, outdated, or irrelevant information within a student’s temporary student record. 603 CMR 23.06

In accordance with applicable state and federal regulations, the King Philip Regional School District does hereby notify you of its intent to destroy student records relating to your child/you sixty (60) days of the date of this notice, May 15, 2021. The records to be destroyed include, but are not limited to documentation within your child’s/your temporary student record. However, a copy of your child’s/your student transcript will be maintained by the District for at least (60) years following your child’s/your graduation, transfer, or withdrawal from the District. Your transcript includes your/your child’s name, address, telephone number; your birth date; name, address, and telephone number of your parent or guardian; course titles, grades (or the equivalent when grades are not applicable), course credit, grade level completed, and the year completed.

Except for your transcript, the remaining contents of your/your child’s student record will be destroyed after sixty (60) days of the date of this notice in accordance with 603 C.M.R. 23.06.  Because these records may have some value to you, you may receive a copy of those records.  If you would like a copy of your records before their destruction, please request writing to the Office of Student Services. Please contact the Office of Student Services at 508-520-7991 ext. 247 with any questions or concerns.  In your request, please specify the documents you are seeking.  Please be aware that under 603 C.M.R. 23.00 the school district may charge a reasonable fee for the cost of reproducing the requested records.